? ??????????????Love Is Blinding? ????? ?? ???Rating: 5.0 (1 Rating)??2 Grabs Today. 1159 Total Grabs. ???
???Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ?????Golden Afternoon? ????? ?? ???Rating: 5.0 (2 Ratings)??2 Grabs Today. 2059 Total Grabs. ??????Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ???????Don't L BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The joys of nursing...

At work last night I had the pleasure of precepting Heather, a new nurse who totally rocks at nursing already. She took care of all of our patients and I just floated around helping out and keeping myself available to answer questions for her when she had them. Precepting Heather made my night a breeze. The best part for me was that I had more time to really take care of our patients on the floor who were sad, confused or just in need of a little extra TLC. One of our patients was very confused...talking to people who weren't there, and making no sense whatsoever. He was incredibly hard of hearing, too, which also complicates a converstaion! When I went in to introduce myself to him at the beginning of our shift, I said "I'm Lauren, I'm going to be one of your nurses tonight." And he gets this big grin on his face and he goes, "No, I'm not married!" I think he thought I was hitting on him...so cute. As I was talking with him...and by that I mean that I would say something and then he would say something back that totally didn't make sense...I held his hand, as I usually do. His fingernails were soooo long and there was so much shit (literally, as in poop that was once on his butt) under his nails. Ewww. In the hospital, we are not allowed to cut patients nails....so I thought I would just have to give him a manicure. So early this morning, when all the patients were staring to wake up I took in a basin of soapy water, some little sticks to get the poop out with, and some toothbrushes to clean under his nails. My fellow nurse, Katie, who is one of my absolute favorite people in this world, was also precepting a new nurse so she had some extra time on her hands, as well. She came in as I was cleaning one hand and asked if I wanted help. So she took the other hand of my patient and got to work. So the two of us stood there, one on either side of this sweet man, scraping old poop out from under his long nails. It was thouroughly disgusting, but definitley necessary, and I was glad we had the time to it. Katie and I were so into our new roles as manicurists that it totally caught us off guard when from the other side of the curtain, the patient's roommate ripped the biggest fart you ever heard! Katie and I looked at each other and cracked up as quietly as we could! Nursing is such a glamorous profession. But, glamour aside, I wish I could spend more of my time at work doing things that make patients feel more like people, and less like patients.

Once we finished up his pretty manicure, I put lotion on his nice clean hands and then we had other staff members come in to see his pretty clean nails. This patient was just so cute...he sat there with a big grin on his face putting his hands on display. In those moments I felt so much satisfaction as a nurse. Anyone can understand how it would be satisfying to do CPR on a patient who is crashing, or get that IV that no one else can get. It's being satisfied to do something so simple as to clean an old man's hands that lets me know I chose the right path professionally. It is how I know I was meant to be a nurse....and why I'm so happy I am.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Awww that is so sweet, I bet he felt so much better with his clean moisturized hands!!! :)

Anonymous said...

I know Michelle would be so proud of you. You should have picked out a pretty OPI color for him...haha.